Sustainability at Çimsa
Primary aim of Çimsa to take firm steps forward to a sustainable future. To relate sustainability aims with corporate responsibilities and to include related performance indicators to tracking systems are integral parts of sustainability management system. As an important player of the sector, works are under way to integrate sustainability to the functions in all stages of the company.
Taking the value chain of the company into consideration, it is made a point to conduct continuous develpment works for the social and environmental impacts that may be sourced or will source from its past, current and future activities and carries on rehabilitation works.
Human factor takes part at the heart of Çimsa's sustainability activities. With the awareness of realizing all activities for humanity and based on the fact that again humans participation in the bases of the corporate success, employees possess first degree importance and priority in the corporate sustainability works.
With a view brought by the sustainability approach, a balance is sought between financial targets and economical, environmental and social impact. This understanding is reflected on the organizational structure, business making processes, and products and services of the company.
Besides the direct added value created for the national economy, indirect contribution is made in the foreign-dependent Turkish economy in terms of energy resources realized through activities such as energy efficiency policy and energy generation from wastes. The part equal to the efficiency is recovered by the national economy as a earning.
SUSTAINABILITY ROAD MAP
2007 - 2010:
- First GRI Report was prepared at B level.
- Dust emission decreased down to 23% with the investments made.
- 3.6% of energy consumption is started to be met from alternative waste fuel consumption.
2011 - 2012:
- First GRI Report was prepared at B+ level.
- Electricity Generation from Waste Gas Project established in Mersin for an investment of 21.8 million USD was commissioned.
- The plant was established to meet 50% of electricity generation at 1st and 2nd furnaces.
- With the Hot Disc project realized in Eskişehir for 7.7 million USD fossil fuel consumption in the 2nd facility was decreased by 21%.
- Kayseri Cement Plant was awarded with the Eco-Friendly Product Certificate for the first time in Turkey by Institut Bauen und Umwelt in accordance with ISO 14025 and the new European Norm EN 15804.
- Our sustainability report covering 2012 was published in December. This report raised the bar; GRI report at A+ level was drafted.
- The first Turkish company that joined Cement Sustainability Initiative.
- Electricity Generation from Waste Gasses facility in Mersin generated 21.7 million Kws electricity in the midyear period of 2013.
- Fossil fuel consumption was decreased by 22% in Eskişehir in the midyear period of 2013.
Çimsa Sustainability Committee was destablished under the leadership of General Director in 2011. It consists of production, finance, human resources, strategy, corporate communications, purchasing and logistics departments.
The aim of the Committee is to create corporate targets by relating sustainability issues with feedbacks from the stake holders, determine the headings and priorities in the "Sustainability Issues Matrix", and to include them in the tracking systems with relevant performance indicators to make them a part of the management system.
You can send all your queries about sustainability to firstname.lastname@example.org.