Sustainability at Çimsa
Securing the eternal existence of human race and of all living things in their protected comfort zone while performing our economic activities has been a major issue of the 21st century. Among the strategic focuses of Çimsa, one of the key players in the industry, are maintaining its competitive production power, sustaining growth and creating added value. On the journey towards reaching its goals, Çimsa carries out all its operations and business manners by focusing on sustainability.
The outputs it obtains through interactive relations with its stakeholders and its impact on the society in the broadest sense are important indicators for the actions of Çimsa. This integrated view, conduct and performance enables Çimsa to preserve its competitive production power, sustain growth, create added value and achieve its short, medium and long term goals.
In line with the strategies of Çimsa, the following topics are identified as the “main value creating elements”
- Economic performance
- New product and new market development through R&D and innovation
- Energy efficiency
- Creating economic value by eco-investments
- Human development
- Management of risks and opportunities
Within the framework of the value creating elements, Çimsa set its main targets shaping its short, medium and long-term success; the company defined its performance indicators over a period of 5 years.
2017 was a touchstone for the company’s history; with the maturity of its integrated perspective, the main target programs of Çimsa have been re-identified to contribute to its holistic success. This main frame enables that the value creation chain that is compatible with the strategy and business model, serving to 6 different capital elements of Çimsa, is executed by the collective participation of all departments infused with strong team spirit under the ownership and guidance of the Board and top management. Within the scope of works accomplished by following the holistic integrated corporate governance principles, the expectations and needs of the priority stakeholders of Çimsa are given due consideration and the sustainability of the activity cycle run by win-win vision is assured.
Integrating these capital elements into its corporate strategy, Çimsa puts into effect a balanced business model beyond financial sustainability. The 6 different capital groups point at the channels where the strategy creates the long-term value for its stakeholders. During the process of setting the business model for Çimsa, the priorities are identified in parallel with the 6 value creating elements.
In this context, the primary elements of Çimsa are gathered under 4 headings:
- Human focus
- Customer satisfaction and market focus
- Success based on economic performance
For each of its priority, Çimsa carries out activities within the scope of its operation model and creates value for the relevant stakeholder group.
The 4 priorities of Çimsa in relation with value creation cycle:
• Çimsa recognizes the human being as the highest value. Company’s essential objective is to create and sustain a working environment and culture in accordance with the management principles based on communication and progress for the company employees and suppliers/subcontractors, who are the priority stakeholders, and the occupational health and safety requirements.
• Approach to R&D and innovation is among the priorities of Çimsa. Çimsa aims to manage its operations and customer support processes to provide superior product and service quality by developing new products meeting the needs and expectations of customers.
• Economic performance is another priority of Çimsa. In this respect, the company integrates its operational excellence exercises into all its activities and identifies the effective financial management, working capital management, production management, and purchasing and logistics management as value-creating tools.
• Ensuring the spreading of suitable management and control principles at every stage under the heading of sustainability, Çimsa further strengthens the company’s image with the model practices and strong presence in the cement industry; runs climate-change-sensitive environmental management tasks in full compliance with the legislation.
ÇİMSA ON THE ROAD TO INTEGRATED REPORTING
The first sustainability report covering the period 2007-2010 was issued. On February 2010, 60% of the shares of MEDCON company, the owner of the Trieste Terminal, was purchased. Çimsa started producing the first customer-specific cement, namely Super Bims Cement.
HotDisc (Waste Feeding and Waste Energy Recovery) investment at Eskişehir Factory was completed.
Çimsa became the first and only Turkish company to participate in Cement Sustainability Initiative (CSI). The company signed the UN Global Compact Principles.
Çimsa Eskişehir Factory was entitled to receive TS10002 Customer Satisfaction Management System Certification.
“Gender Equality in Business Life Award” was given to Çimsa by the Directorate General of Labour under the Ministry of Family, Labour and Social Services.
For the first time in Turkish Cement Industry, Çimsa was entitled to receive “CDP Turkey 2016 Climate Leadership Award”, as it was included in the category A, based on the Climate Change Report results.
The company celebrated its 45th Anniversary in 2017, where it laid new foundations for its future growth. Çimsa Afyon Factory was relocated to the modern, environment friendly, newly-constructed compound with the latest cement manufacturing technologies. White cement extension investment at Çimsa Eskişehir Factory and capacity expansion investment at Çimsa Niğde plant were completed. These energy and fuel saving investments contributed to sustainability.
General Manager (President of the Committee), Assistant General Managers (Committee Members), Sustainability and Process Control Management Department (Committee Spokesperson)
Where necessary, the committee members may form sub-committees from the teams reporting to themselves.
Main Objective and Function:
It is aimed to develop top management commitment to effectively implement corporate sustainability practices within Çimsa and ensuring the widespread use and follow up of the practices.
- Preparation of the sustainability strategies and policies
- Setting divisional goals and key performance indicators in accordance with sustainability strategies and policies
- Monitoring of the current processes, practices, and projects and performing the follow-up of performance measurements, by divisions in line with the objectives
- Performing communication activities to ensure the sustainability strategies, policies and practices are adopted by all stakeholders
- Identifying the environmental, social, economic and climate change risks for cement manufacturing and taking the necessary measures
- Following the latest developments on sustainability
- Follow-up of committee decisions
- The committee shall hold meetings at least every three months. In the event of emergency, the committee members are entitled to call a meeting.
- The agenda of the meeting is prepared by the Committee Spokesperson and presented to the Committee President for approval. The Committee President and the members may add new topics to the agenda.